Did you know that your household is actually full of hidden dangers for your dog? While you might think that you’ve puppy-proofed or dog-proofed your house already, seemingly harmless items could actually put your dog in danger.
Did you know that your garbage can actually make your dog very sick? If a dog ingests garbage, the bacteria contained in the garbage can cause a condition called Garbage Toxicosis. A dog who has Garbage Toxicosis may experience diarrhea and vomiting. He may act like he’s in pain or become lethargic. If your dog has ingested garbage and displays such symptoms, you should take him to the vet.
In most cases, feeding your dog a bland diet for a few days will help his digestive system return to normal. Sometimes, though, your dog may need to be hospitalized. If your garbage contained items that were poisonous to your dog, his health could be at risk. Sometimes dogs ingest materials that become lodged in their intestines, requiring surgery. To be safe, keep all garbage securely located out of your dog’s reach.
Many common household cleaners, such as drain cleaners, bleach, toilet and bathroom cleaners, and even oven cleaners, are highly toxic to dogs. Keep any cleaning supplies locked in a cabinet that your dog cannot access. It’s a good idea to put a baby lock or additional lock on any cabinet containing toxic chemicals as an added security measure to keep your dog out.
Rat or Mouse Poison
If you have a rodent problem, the first advice that anyone will give you is to put down rat or mouse poison, like d-CON. The problem is that rodent poisons kill rodents by thinning their blood. To get rodents to eat the poisons, the poisons themselves are made to be tasty and tempting – even to your dog. If your dog ingests even small amounts of poison, he can be poisoned himself, often resulting in death. If you suspect that your dog has ingested rodent poison, take him to a veterinarian immediately – time is of the essence and this situation should be considered an emergency.
While it might seem that you could simply secure poisons out of your dog’s reach, the problem is more widespread than that. If your dog ingests a dead rodent which has been killed by the poison, your dog can still be poisoned to the point where his life is at risk. If you have a dog, it is best to avoid using any rodent poisons on your property.
Your backyard swimming pool can be just as dangerous for your dog as it is for unsupervised children. To keep your dog safe poolside, make sure that you monitor his swimming ability and energy level. Try to minimize the amount of water that he drinks, since he shouldn’t ingest the chemicals that are in your pool. Bathe your dog after he’s been swimming to keep the chlorine from irritating his skin.
There are many seemingly safe items in your house that are actually dangerous for your dog. Luckily it’s pretty easy to make sure that these items are secured away, keeping your dog safe.